Monday, June 12, 2006

Marketing Entitlement

"I don't care, but you should," was the message I received not five minutes ago from an ILX (timeshare) telemarketer.

Politely he...
Then he asked for a date.

Wanted to know when I would pick up my certificate (cert, for short).

Since he already promised to email me the fine print, I figured I'd read it and let him call me back in a few days for an answer. Evidently, that was over his head!

"You can call me back Friday, if you like," I offered, today being Monday.

"Why would I do that?" he asked. Idiot I am, I'm thinking, "Why wouldn't he, since I just told him I'd be happy to be sold after reading his detailed email then taking his call on Friday?"

I'm sure he's been buggered off many times, but why did he take it out on me?

I wanted that three-night/four day stay at his resort!

__________________
Should I explain why his "marketing tactic" didn't work, or is it obvious? I told him I wrote the book on telemarketing. My words, anchored to responding to what the prospect actually said, not the angst created by the previous 30 calls, fell on deaf ears. Am I the only person who likes to be sold the stuff we're interested in and left alone on things we're not interested in?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?